Meet moon milk, the out-of-this-world wellness trend your sleep routine needs. You’ve likely seen pictures of this colourful drink floating around our instagram and pinterest feeds, but this aesthetically pleasing beverage is far more than a passing trend.
What is moon milk?
While it’s been a trendy beverage of late, moon milk has actually been around for centuries, rooted in Ayurvedic tradition. In Ayurveda, consuming warm milk before bed is a common technique to wind down and combat anxiety, restlessness, and insomnia. Moon milk in today’s terms is made with a blend of non-dairy milk, spices, and adaptogens, designed to promote relaxation.
How to make moon milk
While the herbs and adaptogens used in moon milk vary, here’s an easy template for creating your own moon milk recipes.
- 1.5 cups non-dairy milk (we love almond, coconut, macadamia, or cashew milk)
- 1 tsp sweetener (maple syrup, rice malt syrup, monk fruit sweetener)
- 1 tsp adaptogen powder (ashwagandha, reishi, tulsi)
- 1 tsp mixed spices (try cardamon, turmeric, cinnamon, and nutmeg)
- ½ tsp rosewater (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth (if you don’t have a blender, simply whisk everything together in a mixing jug or bowl until smooth and combined).
- Heat over light to medium heat until warm.
- Strain (optional) or pour into a mug, and sip your way to a good night’s sleep.
Join our community and be inspired! Sign up to our newsletter for weekly advice, fun facts and info to support your plant-powered journey. We’ll share special offers and our new dishes with you too.
You may enjoy:
Ayurvedic principles for enhancing your vitality and vigour
Top 5 adaptogens for mood & stress support
How Ayurveda says you should eat for winter
Comments are closed.